Advertisement

Barangay in Mandaluyong on a ‘total lockdown’

0 20

Barangay Addition Hills in Mandaluyong, which has the highest number of confirmed new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in Metro Manila, will be placed under a weeklong “total lockdown” starting Thursday.

The lockdown was announced by Mayor Menchie Abalos on Facebook after village officials, the City Health Department, City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Mandaluyong Medical Center, the Army, and police hold a joint meeting to address the sharp rise in cases.

As of Monday afternoon, Barangay Addition Hills had 59 confirmed COVID-19 cases, accounting for nearly 14% of Mandaluyong’s 420 cases overall.

From the 59 confirmed cases, six have died– the highest fatality rate among the city’s 27 villages.

Abalos said that the LGU will conduct 3,000 rapid tests on randomly chosen residents while the barangay is under lockdown.

Advertisement

She added that the LGU had been distributing food packs to each household in the area since Monday.

The city of Mandaluyong has partnered with the Philippine Red Cross, which is headquartered in the city, to conduct the tests.

There were no details about what the implications of the total lockdown of the barangay would be, however, particularly as the whole of Metro Manila remained under enhanced community quarantine that already prohibited all nonessential errands.

Abalos said she would issue soon an executive order with guidelines for the said lockdown.

During the lockdown, all commercial establishments, except for drug stores and funeral homes, were not allowed to operate while all residents, save for workers in establishments offering essential services, were restricted to their houses.

Advertisement

  

Advertisement

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.